Sunday, August 1, 2010

Write Courageously

I blame my friend K. for planting the seed that I could and should blog again. This is really all her fault and any failure real or implied will be squarely heaped on her shoulders. I am not above tossing her under the bus if needed.


You blogged before, say you? Yeah. For a few fleeting months. I stopped due to time constraints. And fear. I have fear. Fear of blogging mediocrity. Fear of failure. Fear of self-editing. Will I be as sharp tongued and witty on paper as I think I am inside my own noggin? I fear I do not have the appropriate amount of snarkiness and pith to mass a following. Could there be anything more pathetic then the unread, unloved blog?

Time will tell I guess. I look at my attempt to blog, as an experiment to write courageously, to just say it and try not to self edit too much. Or as I tell girlfriends who are unsure about wearing the shiny black boots with the pointy toe; just own it. I can tell you it is significantly easier to dispense the “just own it” advice then follow it.

That said I will apply all the appropriate disclaimers to my blog. I will also add the disclaimer that I am free to edit my disclaimers at any time. My blog. My disclaimers. I am a girl. I can change my mind. So there (insert foot stomping here).

Everything is fair target. For example: if I blog about the putrid wrongful fashion sense of the holiday sweater and you are a lover of holiday sweaters, you are of course free to:

  1. Hate the holiday sweater blog entry and keep on blindly wearing your holiday sweaters even though this is really nothing fashionable about them.

    OR
  2. Experience a life-changing moment of fashion clarity that holiday sweaters are truly a bad idea, purge your closet of said sweaters and bestow oodles of gratitude upon me for helping you see the light.

The choice is yours.

For my part, this will be a self discovery opportunity to be brave and write courageously (with the appropriate amount of snarkiness of course). Yikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment