Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Peanuts and Monkeys

I’m preparing for my next series of winter craft shows. $85 gets me a 6x12 space in a high school gym and guarded optimism that I’ll sell enough tye dyes to offset the cost of the Oakley sunglasses my son has on his Christmas wish list, as well as the unexpected investment in a new washing machine. As a matter of background, I sell children’s tye dye wearables that include one piece rompers, (I can’t call them onesies™ because the Gerber people don’t like that and their lawyers send me love notes), dresses, hats, sweatshirts – stuff like that. It’s a pocket money type of product at $10 - $25; although sweatshirts are a bit more (dye hogs, trust me on this).


There are two kinds of shoppers at craft fairs.

  1. Those who appreciate the time and energy it takes to actually dye something by hand.
  2. Those who think they appreciate the time and energy it take to dye something by hand, but want a Wal-Mart price point.
I understand the need to stretch a dollar. This is not a concept lost on me especially after the recent hemorrhage my checkbook has endured; however there is a get what you pay for component to buying the cheapest made product in the marketplace. You pay peanuts, you get monkeys. If you want a scratchy thin t-shirt made from pre-fabricated tye dye cloth then Wal-Mart is your best bet. If you want a $5.99 price point for a hand dyed t-shirt, I am not for you.

If you want dyed local, by hand, on a nicer quality cotton fabric with professional grade dye, then I am your gal. I don’t bargain. I don’t negotiate. I am not the dollar store. My items are priced fairly. I also don’t provide instruction on how to tye dye. My knowledge is my business. I am not setup here to provide a “how to” opportunity. And I feel pretty confident that the quality and vibrancy of my tye dyes are better then what you have done as a summer project on your front lawn.

This is the part where I sound like my dad and hop up on my soapbox.

As a society we howl and complain about outsourced manufacturing and the quality of some of those products (some, not all). We say we want to buy American. We say we want local. We say we value handmade. We say we want to support our local business, artist or farmer. Only we want rock bottom, made in China, chain store prices.

Sorry folks, you can’t have it both ways.

American made products are more expensive. Handmade products are also more expensive. I will add the appropriate disclaimer that all of my blanks (the white pieces purchased before I dye them) are not made in the USA. But some are, and those are priced accordingly. Somehow it’s a-ok to spend $45 on a hoodie at the Gap made in Sri Lanka and not okay to spend $45 on an American Apparel hoodie actually made in the US and dyed in Wisconsin. I don’t get it.

So to the folks that enter my booth and say “You’re stuff is so cute, but it’s so expensive” or “$12 is a lot for a tye dye t-shirt” please skip the craft fair circuit, get in your car and go to the nearest discount store. Pay your peanuts. Get your moneys.

Hopping off soapbox.

No comments:

Post a Comment