Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Gleekdom

I have jumped on the Glee bandwagon. Big time. I tried resisting but I was sucked in and now find myself looking forward to Tuesdays nights a little too much. It must be my show-choir background. In my day we didn’t call it “Glee club” but show choir or swing choir. But it’s all the same stuff. The show tunes. The box step- snap-side-touch step dance moves. The wistful ballads. Unfortunately we didn’t have the powerhouse vocals. We also didn’t have the token handicapped, Asian or openly gay kid. After all Middleton High School was a hybrid of white bread USA and hicks from Cross Plains. We did have the cheerleader/jock combo though, a few farm kids and one multi-racial member.


Glee is cheesy, snarky, sugary coated, vocally rich deliciousness. I love it. LOVE IT! I love it so much I had to move Glee Season I and II up to the top of queue on my Netflix rental list by passing Season III of The Tudors and Mad Men. Sorry.

And I love Sue Sylvester. I love her snarky comments, her sneer and her rainbow of Adidas tracksuits. I love the big oafy football coach, the doe eyed guidance counselor and her manic hand washing. I love Mr. Schu and his perfectly coifed boy band hair. I love Rachel and her prima donna ways which oddly remind me of our own high school prima donna “Kate”, who was ironically just as talented and as much of a priss. Art imitates life.

My husband does not love Glee. My husband abhors Glee. He cringes. He thinks it’s weird, creepy and downright wrong. He’s a hater.
My son, however is also a Glee lover. Despite the fact the musical gene passed him by he is right there with me watching every sugary, snarky episode. Part of this I think is driven by the fact that every high school girl on the planet is a Gleek and it’s not a bad idea to maximize your attractiveness to the fairer high school sex by relating to something that they are totally into at the moment. The kid isn’t dumb. It pays to maximize potential girlfriend opportunity.

My gut tells me Glees popularity will burn fast and bright. Then the producers will do something ridiculous, jump the shark and be in the big fade.

In the meantime I’ll enjoy a big helping of gleetastic, gleerific, gleemazing , fabulous gleeness.

No comments:

Post a Comment