Saturday, September 3, 2011

Kohler - An Update

So yeah. I was accepted to the big “Holiday Craft Market” in Kohler, Wi. You can read about that here.

Silly me. I assumed acceptance meant all artists are created equal. Not so much with the created equal. New vendors are low man on the totem pole.

Low.  Very low.

Low man on the totem pole means that the 10x12 booth space I requested will not be a reality. Not unless another returning vendor befalls a non-fatal but disfiguring accident and is unable to attend this year’s event.

Low man means only 8x8 booth spaces are left. 8x8 isn’t very big when you display clothing.

Low also means you get relegated to some random banquet room, not the coveted “Grand Ball Room”.

Newbies must pay their dues.

The coordinator of the Kohler show…in my opinion has the most thankless job on the planet. I’m pretty sure coordinating the booth spaces and needs of 100+ narcissistic artists is tantamount to a hazing ritual in the events planning world. The hotel events managers of The American Club probably rub their hands in anticipation of who they can torture this year with the planning of the annual Kohler Holiday Mart….insert maniacal manager laughter here.

The coordinator has been great about trying to at least accommodate me, which I really do appreciate.

I do.

I am being 110% sincere. She could have easily dumped me in the 8x8 and left no room for discussion. So major snaps to the holiday event coordinator at the American Club for being so stand up about what I am sure is a no win situation for anyone.

I was able to use my powerful negotiation skills and wrangle my way into an 8x10 booth. I bet you didn’t think that an extra 2 feet of booth space costs $100. It does.

Booth space real estate ain’t cheap. It’s even less cheap at The American Club where a room is $300 a night.

No lie.

For the record I won't be staying at The American Club. I have 3 nights booked at the lovely La Quinta.

So – we’re off and running. Contract and check to be sent. Let the months of prepping begin.

More to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment