Friday, July 22, 2011

Facebook – it’s not for thank you notes

Ever.

Just so my position is clear right out of the gate.

I understand that we have evolved into the mecca of social media; however I would like to point out that facebook is not a vehicle for sending thank you notes.

I’m a stickler on this.

I was schooled in Etiquette in the house of Donna (my mother). I have my own copy of Emily Posts Guide to Etiquette. I have used it often. There are very specific rules about thank you notes and I don’t care that facebook is the whiz bang new thing. Facebook is not a vehicle for a thank you note even if that note is a “private message”.

I sent some baby gifts to extended family members. Two of the three “thank yous”, I received were via facebook. Uh, really? I didn’t post a picture of the gift on facebook. I actually picked something out, wrapped it, shipped it and included a card. The receiver of said gift should sending a HANDWRITTEN thank you note, putting a stamp on it and dropping it in the mail.

I can’t bend on this one. There is a protocol for the formalized hand-written note and I don’t care what kind of technology is in place today. Technology is not a replacement for etiquette; although I am finding it is eroding it and lowering our collective standards for acceptable behavior in polite society.

As a refresher…gifts given for weddings, baby/bridal showers, confirmations/graduations deserve a HANDWRITTEN thank you note. Birthday gifts that the receiver is unable to the giver in person (such as a card that includes cash/check) also deserve a HANDWRITTEN thank you note.

Not a text message.

Not an email.

And not a facebook post.

A thoughtful gesture deserves a thoughtful HANDWRITTEN response.

No exceptions.

No comments:

Post a Comment