Monday, July 11, 2011

Stuff I like - Warm Glass

Important disclaimer.

Art is subjective. Some local handmade stuff is tripe. Really. It’s truly awful stuff. The ceramic painted figurines spring to mind. So do dried floral arrangements. Or the wishing wells made out of logs. I’m sure some people like ceramic painted figurines, dried floral wreaths and log wishing wells… but I am not one of them. More often than not if someone is making crap I’ll probably be a bit snarky and poke some fun. I’m an equal opportunist that way.

The cool thing about the local handmade market is I get to meet other artists and check out the cool stuff people make and sell. I met this artist at a show last year. I really like her fused glass magnets and coasters. I own some magnets and have given a set as gifts. I plan on giving more sets as gifts. Everyone likes magnets and coasters. And they are cool looking. I mean you could buy a set of coasters from Crate and Barrel (don’t get me wrong I love Crate and Barrel) or you could buy something unique and handmade. A one of a kind original. And the magnets are strong. Not that I don’t appreciate my “Middleton Vet” magnets complete with phone number, but these magnets are pretty and actually hold up a few things. Sa-weet!

As a tangent to this subject, I know there are other bloggers who endorse a lot of artists and their hand-made wares in exchange based on a review of their product. I know this because I receive emails on a regular basis from bloggers who find my online etsy shop and want me to send them a “free” sample of my work so they can review and blog about it.

It’s a good gig if you can get it; American resourcefulness at its finest. And I will admit I’ve fallen for it a few times. And then I grew a brain and realized all I was doing was giving away free baby bodysuits with no hope of repeat business. I don’t do that anymore. If you want a tye dye t-shirt, buy it like everyone else.

My philosophy is more straight-forward and less loosey-goosey. If I like your product. I’ll buy it. And if I really like it I’ll probably mention it here because I’m all about sharing the good stuff. And I believe that handmade can be truly awesome and maybe we can rescue ourselves from a houseful of items with “made in china” stamped on the back.

Go for unique. Go for handmade.

No comments:

Post a Comment