Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Mt Horeb Art & Craft Fair – A followup

Editors Note: Major props to a couple of my besties who helped me work this show. Pedicures for all.

This is a good show. I would do it again. Let’s cut to the chase…

The Pros

  • It’s close to home. Like 15 minutes away. Score.
  • My booth was 3 spaces off the corner of Main and Third Street which mean I could pull my car RIGHT IN FRONT of my booth for BOTH loading and unloading. This may be lost on the average reader but not having to haul heavy stuff for any distance is amazeballs. Especially since it was beyond hot. I’ll get to that later.
  • My booth was also like ½ block from the artists center which meant an air conditioned building and real potties. No port-a-potties. Praise Jesus!
  • People spent. It helps that my price point even with my recent price increase is still pretty reasonable, but I was consistently busy, despite the heat. An influx of cash helped me feel less hot. Just sayin’. And there was no balking at my adjusted price points. Hurray.

The cons

  • The heat. Hot. Hot. And more hot. Oh and humid too. It was more or less tolerable in the shade but take down was a beast. There is nothing quite like standing on asphalt, in the full sun, in 95 degree weather trying to stuff a 10x10 EZ up tent into an uncooperative bag. Good times.
  • Whiny kids. There were a lot of them too. Excessive heat brings out the cranky-pants in kids and adults alike. And lets face it – I was hot and cranky too. Crankyness is contagious when the temperature is midway between a sauna and Turkish bath.

Bottom Line

  • Good show. Well organized. Well attended. On the list for next year. Check.

Buy unique. Buy handmade. It’s my new mantra.

No comments:

Post a Comment